- 200 g Maitake mushroom, cleaned
- 4 pounds Cloumage
- 30 g preserved lemon
- 20 g sliced chives
- 16 g smoked salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 5 g chives, diced finely
- 1 g espellete pepper
- pinch of salt
- 1 Meyer lemon wedge
- Start by trimming the Maitake mushroom to approximately 250-300 grams. Skewer the bottom of the mushroom with a chopstick or skewer so that there is something to hold onto while frying.
- Cut the flesh and pith from the preserved lemon and save the rind. Brunoise the rind and set aside.
- Place the Cloumage in a big mixing bowl and using a spatula, mix cheese with reserved lemon, sliced chives, smoked salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Fry the mushroom at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until crispy. Drain the mushroom on a paper towel. Cut off the stem where the skewer was. Season the mushroom with espellete, chives and salt. Smear a large dollop of the Cloumage mixture onto a plate, top with mushroom and garnish with a wedge of Meyer lemon.
This is a W&S web exclusive. Get access to all of our feature stories by signing up today.