Wine & Spirits Frequently Asked Questions
- How many issues does your magazine publish a year?
- How do I purchase a back issue of Wine & Spirits?
- How much does a single issue cost?
- How much does a subscription to your magazine cost?
- I signed up for a subscription in between publishing dates. Why have I not received my first issue?
- Why was my account was charged twice for my subscription?
- A family/friend of mine bought me a gift subscription, but I have not received anything.
- Where do I go to renew or cancel my subscription?
- How can I obtain a receipt for my subscription purchase?
- When is the Digital Edition available?
- What is W&S Magazine’s review process?
- What scoring system does W&S use?
- Where do reviews of my wine appear?
- Are all submitted wines reviewed?
- How many wines does W&S taste?
- Do I need express permission from W&S to submit wines for review?
- Can I submit older vintages of my wines?
- Does W&S taste all wines that are submitted?
- Is there a limit on how many wines I can submit?
- Is there a fee for submitting samples?
- How many bottles of each wine should I send?
- What information must be included with samples?
- Where do I send samples?
- When should I send samples?
- Can I ship samples from outside the US directly to W&S?
- Do you review wines that are not currently imported into the US?
- May I contact W&S to find out if my wines have been have been delivered or reviewed?
- How much time elapses between submission of a wine and a published review?
- Will I be notified if my wine is recommended?
- Can I purchase a label reproduction if my wine is reviewed in the print edition?
- Where can I find your Editorial Calendar?
- How do I change my password/contact information?
- I would like to advertise with your magazine. Who should I contact?
- Who should I contact to get a copy of your media kit?
- Where can I get a copy of your press releases?
- Does your company offer internships?
- I would like to work for your company. How do I apply?
If the question you want to ask is not here, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q. How many issues does your magazine publish a year?
Wine & Spirits Magazine publishes 8 issues a year.
Q. How do I purchase a back issue of Wine & Spirits?
Please click here to order a digital single back issue of Wine & Spirits you desire by choosing "Single issue."
If you would like a print version of a back issue, please email us at email@example.com or call (888)-695-4660.
Q. How much does a single issue cost?
A single W&S issue generally cost $5.99. Our specialty issues, Fall and Winter, costs $6.99 and $9.99, respectively.
Q. How much does a subscription to your magazine cost?
We currently have two subscription plans:
- Digital Edition subscription: 1 year (8 issues): $19.95; 2 years (16 issues): $31.95.
- Print and Digital Edition: 1 year (8 issues): $29.95; 2 years (16 issues): $51.95; 3 years (24 issues) $69.95.
Q. I signed up for a subscription in between publishing dates. Why have I not received my first issue?
If you have signed up in between our publishing dates, please expect to receive the following issue. For example, if you subscribed to our magazine between February and April, please expect your first issue to be the April.
Q. Why was my account was charged twice for my subscription?
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q. A family/friend of mine sent me a gift subscription, but I have not yet received anything.
Please contact us at email@example.com.
Q. Where do I go to renew or cancel my subscription?
Please click on preferences after logging into your account to change your subscription.
Q. How can I obtain a receipt for my subscription purchase?
Your receipt should be emailed to you upon your confirmation of purchase. If you did not receive it, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q. When is the Digital Edition available?
Our Digital Edition is available a week before our print magazine is for sale on newsstands.
Wine Review & Scoring Process
Q. What is W&S Magazine’s review process?
All wine evaluations for our tastings section are conducted under controlled, blind conditions in our own offices. There are no exceptions.
W&S selects wines for recommendation via a two-step process. First, all wines are tasted by a screening panel; the panels determine which wines stand out as being better than average for their variety and appellation. These panels, conducted by W&S staff, are composed of retailers, sommeliers, winemakers and other wine professionals who we invite to taste with us. We draw on a diverse community of tasters to provide multiple perspectives on each wine, thereby mitigating the prejudices of any one critic.
The wines recommended by our screening panels—generally between 20 and 30 percent of those originally assessed—are then tasted blind by our critics, who score each wine and write the reviews. A second, unopened bottle of each wine is tasted during this second stage of our tasting process.
Q. What scoring system does W&S use?
We use a 100-point scale. Wines from 80 to 85 are recommended as good examples of their variety or region, wines from 86 to 89 are highly recommended, 90 to 94 are exceptional examples of their type, and 95 or higher are superlative, rare finds.
Q. Where do reviews of my wine appear?
All wines that score 90 points or higher appear in the magazine’s print edition. Wines that receive a score below 90, but that our editors deem Best Buys, are also featured in the print edition. Reviews for all other recommended wines are published on our website. Wines that are tasted but not recommended are marked “NR” (not recommended) on the website.
Q. Are all submitted wines reviewed?
Our critics review and score only those wines that are initially recommended by our tasting panels.
Q. How many wines does W&S taste?
Our panelists taste more than 15,000 wines each year.
Submitting Wine Samples
Q. Do I need express permission from W&S to submit wines for review?
No, but for imported wines, we ask that you submit samples according to our editorial tasting calendar and send only wines that fall into the categories listed under each issue.
All domestic varieties and blends are accepted and tasted year-round for each issue’s American New Releases section. Certain varieties and styles that are listed on our tasting calendar, however, receive particular editorial focus.
Q. Can I submit older vintages of my wines?
Please send only wines that are current releases and have not been previously submitted. Non-vintage wines, including sparkling wines, may be re-submitted once a year. Exception: All vintage and nonvintage Champagnes may be re-submitted, even if they have been previously tasted, as long as they are currently available in the market.
Q. Does W&S taste all wines that are submitted?
Wine & Spirits tastes wines that have been submitted following our submission protocol. Please be sure to digitally submit your wines prior to sending them so the Tasting Department may ensure none have been tasted previously. Any wines that arrive in our office without being digitally submitted first will not be tasted.
Q. Is there a limit on how many wines I can submit?
At this time, we do not limit the number of samples that can be sent.
Q. Is there a fee for submitting samples?
We do not assess a submission fee for wines being sent to us.
Q. How many bottles of each wine should I send?
We require that two (2) bottles of each wine be sent with your initial submission. Submissions sent with only one bottle may not be reviewed or scored.
Q. What information must be included with samples?
- Please include a hard copy of the appropriate submission form (available on our website) with each box of samples being shipped.
- We require that suggested retail prices and the case production be provided at the time samples are sent. Any samples received without prices may be excluded from consideration by our tasting panels.
- Please submit one submission form per winery/brand.
Before submitting wines to our tasting department, you must first complete a digital submission form. We no longer accept emailed or printed submission forms.
For questions, inquiries or assistance, please contact the W&S Tasting Dept.
Q. Where do I send samples?
Domestic samples should be sent to our Los Angeles office:
Wine & Spirits Magazine
1275 East 6th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90021
Imported samples should be sent to our New York office:
Wine & Spirits Magazine
Attn: Tasting Department
2 West 32nd Street, Suite 601
New York, NY 10001
(212) 695-4660 x34
Q. When should I send samples?
Please refer to our editorial tasting calendar to determine when to send imported wines. Send only wines that are slated for tasting in the upcoming issue by the noted deadline.
We can accept wines up to one month before the deadline, but please do not send them earlier as we do not have adequate storage space to hold samples over several months. We cannot guarantee that any wines received beyond the submissions deadline, whether or not they match the editorial focus, will be tasted for the upcoming issue.
Q. Can I ship samples from outside the US directly to W&S?
We do not have an import license and cannot be responsible for clearing wines through customs. All samples should be sent through a licensed US importer.
After Sample Submissions
Q. May I contact W&S to find out if my wines have been have been delivered or reviewed?
Due to the sheer volume of samples we receive, our staff cannot confirm receipt of samples. Please contact your shipper to obtain confirmation of delivery.
Q. How much time elapses between submission of a wine and a published review?
It may take four to six months between the time we receive a sample and the date it is published in the magazine and/or on our website. The time frame could be longer if the wine is received past an issue’s deadline or if the wine falls outside of our editorial focus for that issue.
Q. Will I be notified if my wine is recommended?
Our editorial staff does not contact importers or producers to report tasting results. To find out if your wine has been tasted and/or scored, visit our website and click on the "Tasting Notes Search" tab to search for your wine.
Recently tasted wines will appear on the website within one month of the publication date of the print edition for which they were tasted.
Q. Can I purchase a label reproduction if my wine is reviewed in the print edition?
After tastings for an issue are completed and scores have been recorded, you may purchase a label reproduction (to be featured along with your review in our print edition) through our marketing team. Label purchases are completely voluntary and advertising decisions have no affect on scores or reviews.
Q. Where can I find your Editorial Calendar?
Our editorial calendar follows our wine submission calendar.
Q. How do I change my password or contact information?
You can change your password and email address under the Preferences once logged into your account.
Q. I would like to advertise with your magazine. Who should I contact?
Please see our Advertise with W&S section where you will find contact information for our Advertising team.
Q. Who should I contact to get a copy of your media kit?
Please contact Samantha Groseth or Christine Ballard for any information in regards to our media kit and advertising opportunities.
Q. Where can I get a copy of your press releases?
Please contact Samantha Groseth.
Q. Does your company offer internships?
Yes, we do. Please check our Jobs page for the latest postings.
Q. I would like to work for your company. How do I apply?
To apply for a job at Wine & Spirits magazine, please check our Jobs page.