- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 ½-inch piece of ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 1 tbsp minced, seeded Serrano chile
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 pound fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup cup dried cranberries
- Zest of an orange
- Pinch of salt
- Bring sugar and vinegar to boil in a heavy, small saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add cumin, fennel and mustard seeds. Stir until mustard seeds pop, about one minute. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown. Add ginger and chile and continue to cook until softened. Add the vinegar–sugar mixture, water, cranberries, orange peel and salt. Simmer until the juices thicken, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
This is a W&S web exclusive. Get access to all of our feature stories by signing up today.