- 1/4 cup diced double-smoked bacon
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1 medium-sized carrot, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 tbsp dry Amontillado
- 1 cup De Puy lentils
- 3 cup chicken stock chopped black truffles,
- 1 tbsp chopped black truffles,
- preserved truffles or truffle purée (optional)
- 1/4 cup finely grated Idiazabal (smoked sheeps milk cheese)
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 4 poached eggs
- 4 slices pata negra ham
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium high heat, brown the bacon. Add the onion, carrot and celery, lower the heat to medium, and cook until softened but not browned. Add the Amontillado and scrape up any bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add the lentils and enough chicken stock to cover them. Add a pinch each of salt and pepper and let simmer for 45 minutes, adding more chicken stock as needed.
- When the lentils are soft, stir in the truffle paste and the cheese. Add Sherry vinegar to taste.
- Divide into four bowls. Serve with a poached egg garnished with a slice of ham.
This story appears in the print issue of June 2009.
Like what you read? Subscribe today.