- 2 tbsp olive oil or bacon fat
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- white wine
- 1 pound lasagna noodles, broken into 1-inch pieces
- sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. When warm, add the onion and stir to coat well. Sprinkle the sugar over and lower the heat to medium. Cook slowly, stirring frequently, for about 20 minutes, so that the onions soften and turn golden (do not let them burn). Add the shredded cabbage, caraway seeds, salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Add a splash of white wine (just enough to moisten the mixture) and let simmer until tender (about another 20 to 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until tender. Drain and toss with the cabbage mixture, adding salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top, if desired.
This story appears in the print issue of December 2015.
Like what you read? Subscribe today.