- 4 oz arugula
- 3/4 cup green olives, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 fennel bulb
- 4 tangerines, peeled and separated into segments
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Ricotta salata for grating
- Place the arugula, olives, and walnuts in a large bowl.
- Cut the fennel quarter in half lengthwise, and then cut away the core. Using a mandoline or a sharp knife, shave the fennel lengthwise into paper-thin slices. Add the fennel slices and tangerine segments to the bowl. Drizzle the olive oil and lemon juice into the bowl, and season the salad with pinches of salt and pepper to taste. Using your hands, toss the salad gently, mixing well.
- Transfer the salad to a large serving bowl. Using a Microplane or other fine-rasp grater, grate a generous amount of ricotta salata over the top. Serve immediately.
Pairing recommendation: a falanghina, such as Feudi di San Gregorio's Sannio or Villa Matilde's Falerno del Massico Falanghina.
This story appears in the print issue of December 2008.
Like what you read? Subscribe today.