- 2 bunches baby red beets, stems removed
- 2 qt water
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/8 cup white vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/4 cup shallot, sliced
- 1 tbsp cumin, toasted
- 1 cup yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 1/2 qt water
- 1 tbsp Aji Amarillo pepper paste
- 1 lime
- 4 sprigs cilantro
For the beets:
- Bring all ingredients to a simmer until beets are tender (approximately 30 minutes). Let the beets cool in liquid. When cool, clean the skins off the beets by gently rubbing with a towel. Cut the beets in halves or quarters depending on size, so that they are in the shape of a heart.
For the Anticucho sauce:
- Sweat shallot and garlic in olive oil in a medium sized sauce pot until soft. The garlic should be golden, not brown. Add the toasted cumin, and cook for 30 seconds. Add the pepper and sweat until soft. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Transfer to a blender and process until smooth. Add the Amarillo pepper and steep cilantro in sauce for 2 minutes and then remove. Season to taste and finish with lime juice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place 4 beet pieces each on 6-inch skewers. Warm the beets in the oven before serving. Drizzle with the Anticucho sauce.
This is a W&S web exclusive. Get access to all of our feature stories by signing up today.