The Master Sommelier Diploma is one of the most coveted accolades in the food and wine industry. It is also one of the hardest to achieve. The exam consists of a verbal theory component, wine assessment using the Deductive Tasting Method and a practical component focusing on service and business acumen. On August 31, 2022, 45 individuals from 16 states and three countries sat for the exam in Portland, Oregon. Ten of them passed:
- Tyler Alden of Barking Frog, Everett, WA
- Martin Beally of Canlis, Seattle, WA
- Pablo Braida of Monarch Restaurant, Dallas, TX
- Julie Dalton of Post Oak Hotel, Houston, TX
- Erik Elliott of Heitz Cellar, Napa Valley, CA
- Christopher Gaither of Ungrafted & Glu Glu San Francisco, CA
- Maddy Jimerson of Casa Tua, Aspen, CO
- Alexander Powell of Grill 23, Boston, MA
- Christopher Ramelb of Southern Glazer’s Wine & Spirits, Honolulu, HI
- Scott Turnbull of Winebow, Calistoga, CA
The Court of Master Sommeliers, Europe, also welcomed Pierre Marie Pattieu of Jackson Family Wines, Hong Kong this month.
This story appears in the print issue of February 2022.
Like what you read? Subscribe today.