Tasting Department Intern
About Wine & Spirits: Our print and digital magazine is published seven times a year and read by over 200,000 members of America’s wine community. Consumers and wine professionals access our website and magazine for information on established and up-and-coming regions and producers, the art and science of viticulture, industry happenings and food and wine pairing. Wine & Spirits, the only wine publication to win the James Beard award five times for excellence in wine writing, evaluates more than 15,000 wines each year.
New York, NY
$50 a week
Rachel DelRocco Terrazas
At Wine & Spirits, the Tasting Department Intern assists in the production of the Tastings section of the magazine. The primary duty of the Tastings Intern is to direct the flow of wine submissions through their data entry, presentation to the tasting panel and reporting.
Required skills & interests: A desire to learn about wine; adept telephone and communication skills; a small amount of heavy lifting may be required. There will be an opportunity to taste a wide range of wines from around the world as well as the possibility of observing or participating in a blind-tasting panel.
Tasting Cycle Duties:
• Receive, organize and process wine shipments for tastings
• Work with editors to arrange tasting order for upcoming tastings
• Retrieve wines to be tasted from racks and organize according to tasting order
• Set-up, pour and clean-up for blind wine tastings for panelists
• Sort second bottles from tastings into recommended and non-recommended
Production Cycle Duties:
• Fact–checking and price solicitation
• Light clerical, such as answering phones, copying and filing
• Research new wines for possible inclusion in tastings
• Research current news for possible reportage on website
Hours: Approximately 15 hours per week, 180 hours total. Hours will vary between 9am and 6pm, two to three days a week depending on the schedule of tastings and intern’s availability.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resumé showing experience and interest in the wine business to Tasting Coordinator, Rachel DelRocco Terrazas.